Sunday, October 9, 2016

Battle Report 19, October 8 Steamroller Round 3: Tanith vs. Reznik 2



I am generally very happy with Warmachine and Hordes as a game.

Reznik 2, as a Hordes player, makes me seriously unhappy.

My opponent and I whined and griped for about 10 minutes before the round began. His other list was a Kreoss 1 pop and drop which Wurmwood laughs at, and we both knew he couldn't afford to risk that.

The Scenario was Recon, which is normally another windmill slam Wurmwood Scenario, but I've played against Reznik 2 a fair number of times now and I think it's a terrible matchup for Wurmwood.

Tanith, on the other hand, makes Reznik 2 play verrrry safe or else he dies, so I decided to drop her instead.

As mentioned previously, I had derped hardcore and left Una at home, so I had a Wilder in her place for this particular event.

Tanith
-Wilder
-Stalker
-Pureblood
-Scarsfell x3
-Gorax

Wrong Eye
-Snapjaw
Lanyssa

Shifting Stones
Sentry Stones x2
Gobbers

Objective: Fuel Cache

And my opponent was playing typical Reznik 2.

Reznik 2
-Reckoner x2
-Scourge of Heresy
-Madelyn Corbeau
-Shield Guard Light Jack that did nothing all game

Choir of Menoth (min)
Idrians and CA
Rhoven and Co.

Wrack
Alten Ashley
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord

Objective; Armory

My opponent won the roll off and chose to go second, taking the side that he didn't want me to have.

I deployed very centrally, already missing Una like crazy. I might have to paint her up as a tribute to how much I missed her. That's how bad it was. Withdrawal pains like crazy.



And my opponent cannily deployed Alten and his Idrians 1.2 inches back from his AD line so I couldn't spray them round one. Darn. He puts prey on the blue Griffon. Again, the big red thing is a fire cloud.



Circle turn 1:

Turn 1 is a typical Tanith turn 1. Scything Touch on the Stalker and Admonition on the Pureblood.

Sentry Stones roll hot for Fury so I get some forests, Griffons run around.

Wrong Eye and Snapjaw both run.


Menoth turn 1:

He runs his right hand Reckoner through the rough terrain. Reznik puts up Lamentation to the surprise of no one. Idrians move up, killing me sacrificial Sentry Mannikins.

Alten does 8 damage to the Pureblood's Spirit. Fortunately, the Pureblood has like 12 boxes in his Spirit for some reason.

 Neither of the clouds go away.


Circle turn 2:

Commence the sprays! I briefly consider sacrificing a Griffon and my feat to kill Rhoven. His ability to hand out Eyeless Sight is pretty crucial in this matchup.

Tanith upkeeps her spells and Una...does not cuz she's not on the table. Le Sigh. The Shifting Stones leach a couple fury for me so nothing has to frenzy.

Both Sentry Stones roll a 1 for fury, and Mannikins do a decent job thinning the Idrian herd.

My opponent forgot the Pureblood has a spray, so Alten dies and I am happy.

Wrong Eye and Snapjaw move up with their typical Submerge and Star-Crossed silliness.

Stalker warps Prowl and goes for the cloud from my objective.

Griffons criss cross so that the preyed one is away from the Idrians.

Neither cloud goes out. Again.


Menoth turn 2:

His army starts to shift to my right. I can see Reznik really wants to go for that flag. Lamantation is upkept.

Idrians murder Mannikins. Rhoven gives Eyeless sight to the right Reckoner. Choir sings Battle.

Reznik moves up, pops feat, and casts The Flesh is Weak at the exposed Mannikin, making neither Griffon able to charge. He then repositions back. The blast damage and feat damage do about half of each Griffon's health.

The Reckoner blows up the farther up Sentry Stone.

The other Reckoner considers going for the Pureblood, but my opponent notices the Admonition token and after a couple of choice words about the spell, doesn't go for it.

The Fire Cloud goes out! (not pictured).


Circle turn 3:

Well my opponent hasn't contested the zone, the cloud is gone, and I've got an angry alligator in charge range.

Tanith upkeeps both spells.

Wrong Eye activates first, outside of Reznik's control area, casting Submerge and Star-Crossed. He then moves up.

Snapjaw charges and murders the objective, riling but not Submerging because Scourge of Heresy has Purgation.

Pureblood moves up and sprays the left Reckoner, missing.

Stalker runs over behind the Pureblood.

Tanith heals some damage off Griffons and moves into the zone behind a Shifting Stone bunker.

Mannikins spray yet more Idrians to death.

My gobbers replace the fire cloud.

I get 3 points.


Score 3-0
Advantage Circle

Menoth turn 3:

My opponent isn't in a good spot here. Lamantation stays up. 

His Idrians move up, CRA, and kill my Griffon. 

Reznik tramples up to the flag, MISSING the Mannikin, and chucks a The Flesh is Weak at my other Griffon. I realized about 2 activations later he would have been in Star-Crossed range and missed, but oh well. My bad.

He repositions back to the flag. 

Choir sings Battle.

Scourge goes in and murders Snapjaw. 

The right Reckoner moves out of the rough terrain and shoots at the Pureblood. 

The left Reckoner charges the Pureblood....who uses Admonition to get away from him and into the forest. 

We had a good laugh since he'd made such a big deal of it the turn before. 

No points are scored, and the cloud goes out (not pictured).


Score 3-0
Advantage Circle

Circle turn 4:

I'm in a fantastic spot here. My Pureblood can warp Ghostly and walk up to Scourge, my Stalker is in charge range of the Reckoner, and if I can't clear the zone, Tanith can either just run up to the flag after the Stalker murders the Reckoner or get teleported over there for a domination the next turn. 

His army is shifted so far to the right that he can only contest with a single Choir member, if that. 

Tanith upkeeps her one spell for free thanks to the Wilder. 

Gorax moves out of Lamentation and casts Primal on the Stalker. He charges in and murders the Reckoner. 

Tanith activates after much deliberation and Feats, casting Primal and Scything Touch on the Pureblood, before advancing into the Shifting Stone fort. 

The Pureblood warps Ghostly and moves up, killing Scourge on the second to last attack.

I get 2 more points. 


Victory for the Druids!

Post-Game Thoughts:

I got lucky here and the central cloud went out right when I needed it to and not a moment earlier. 

That added to the fact that Reznik doesn't really have a feat against Tanith added to Scourge being the ONLY heavy he has that outthreats my models with Hunters Mark and terrain in the mix makes this matchup really hard for him. 

Most fun I've had playing against Menoth in a long time, very interesting game. 



No comments:

Post a Comment