Sunday, October 9, 2016

Battle Report 18, October 8 Steamroller round 2: Wurmwood vs. Caine 2



Round two I was paired with one of my teammates for the upcoming i5 event in Portland, Oregon. His pairing is Stryker 2 and Caine 2, and Wurmwood just sucks for both of them. Add to that we were playing a live Scenario (Entrenched) on a table with very favorable terrain on one side, and he was not a happy camper.

The Stryker 2 list is a double Stormblade boat that just loses to Sentry Stones + Hellmouth, so I knew he was dropping Caine 2.

I dropped Wurmwood, since Tanith is not a great idea into someone who can easily kill her if he gets a bead.

Same Wurmwood list:

Wurmwood
-Cassius
-Brennos
-Megalith
-Stalker
-Gorax

Lanyssa
Gallows Grove

Bone Grinders (min)
Sentry Stones x2
Shifting Stones x2
Gatorman Bokur and Shamblers
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew

Objective: Fuel Cache

vs.

Caine 2
-Ace
-Rowdy
-Reinholdt

Gun Mage Captain Adept x2
Harlan Versh
Runewood
-Gallant
Trencher Master Gunner
Lanyssa

Trencher Cannon Crew
Max Trenchers

Objective: Fuel Cache


I won the roll off and windmill slammed going second to choose side.

He deployed with his scary shooting stuff across from my zone and his trenchers by his zone. Jacks pretty central. The big red thing is a fire cloud. I apparently forgot to photograph his deployment



I counter deployed, being very careful to leave nothing within 20" of Ace so I couldn't get trick-shotted turn 1.

Wurmwood goes near the close zone, beasts by the trench. DEF 18 Stalkers aren't any fun, even for Caine.

Note the curve of my AD line to avoid Ace
Cygnar turn 1:

His Trenchers advance cautiously and Dig in.

Caine puts Hightened Reflexes on the Trenchers and Fire for Effect on the Cannon Crew.

His right side scary shooting models all run.

Ace moves up behind the Trenchers.


Circle turn 1:

I have an amazing plan to run Cassius, Hellmouth Ace needing a boosted 7, kill the GMCA, 3-4 Trenchers, and put some damage on Caine. I also instantly get this nasty feeling I'm not going to actually hit an attack this turn.

The feeling is right.

I miss the boosted 7, and Wurmwood yanks Cassius back to safety.

My Sentry Stones miss the GMCA on the right.

Even my Bone Grinders have a hard time killing each-other, making my Gorax pitch in to help.

My beasts run to the trench, and I make sure Wurmwood is more than 19 inches away from Caine.

The Gobbers Stealth up the Stalker who is a very important 10 inches away from my opponents' objective.



Cygnar turn 2:

With way more models left alive than he has any right to have, my opponent wastes no time in gunning down both Sentry Stones and my Gallows Grove. 

His Trenchers gum up his zone, and his heavies all come central to scare me off. 

I forgot to take a picture 'till Brennos, the Shamblers, and the Stalker had activated, but imagine a line of Trenchers on the close edge of his zone. 


Circle turn 2:

I'm getting two points this turn, dice be darned!

The Shamblers spawn and run to engage his Jacks, especially Rowdy so he can't countercharge. 

Brennos shoots his AOE at the trenchers between the Stalker and the objective, boosting blast damage and murdering 4 of them. 

Wurmwood gets ported up so that the Stalker will still be in control, and the Stalker charges and destroys the objective, sprinting back to the trench. 

Megalith moves on up. 

Cassius runs, and Wurmwood arcs a Hellmouth at the left hand Cannon crew gunner, boosting damage on Runewood and Versh. All of them die, to my infinite satisfaction. 

Wurmwood then feats, and I get 2 points. 


Score 2-0
Advantage Circle

Cygnar turn 3:

He can't really see much to do much. 

Rowdy moves over to block kill a pair of Shamblers. Gallant kills his. 

Trenchers charge and run to engage. 

Caine runs wayyyy over to the right (advances, casts Bullet Dodger on self and then casts Gatecrash). 

Ace uses Infiltrate so that both he and Caine are Stealth. 

Critically, he doesn't want to sacrifice his GMCA to contest, so I get another point. 


Score 3-0
Advantage Circle

Circle turn 3:

I get a Shambler into the ring of Trenchers, and Brennos blasts it, killing all but the closest one. Another Shambler has once again engaged Rowdy.

Cassius runs, and Wurmwood boosts a Stranglehold into the GMCA in the zone, killing him. He then boosts another into Lanyssa, hits, and then rolls a boosted 4 for damage, not killing her. 

Megalith tramples into the zone, boosts a Stranglehold at her, and she dies. 

I get two more points for the win. 


Victory for the Druids!

Post-Game Thoughts:

Caine is pretty screwed no matter what he does here. 

If he contests with the GMCA, I kill him the next turn pretty easily, and then make a big forest wall in front of Wurmwood while he toes the zone. 

I've got distance to both Rowdy and Gallant with the Stalker and Megalith respectively, and at that point all he has left is Caine and a Trencher Master Gunner. 

Even if he'd left Rowdy in the zone, the Stalker had a charge lane right at him, and a Stalker with Primal on it will wreck any Cygnar heavy even on sub-par dice. This is just a grossly hard match-up for Caine, and I did my best to never let him get an opening to do real work until it was far too late. 


No comments:

Post a Comment