Sunday, March 12, 2017

Battle Report 77: Baldur 2 vs. Fyanna 2 (Ravens of War)

Time to try Baldur again! Same list as last time, no alterations.

This time, I was playing into Legion in the Ravens of War theme list, and my opponent had a Naga. I knew that was going to be hard, but I had no idea how hard! Blessed really, REALLY makes Baldur 2 sad.

Baldur 2
- Loki
- Ghetorix
- Pureblood
- Megalith
- Gorax

Gobber Chef
Ogrun Bokur (cliented to Sentry)

Sentry Stone x2
Shifting Stones
Swamp Gobbers Bellow Crew

Against;

Fyanna 2
- Angelius
- Seraph
- Neraph
- Naga

Forsaken
Deathstalker x2
Annyssa Ryssyl

Raptors x2


We were playing Recon. I won the roll off and opted for first (always the right choice against this theme list I feel) and we were off to the races!




Circle turn 1:

Everything ran or ported up max distance. I chucked a Rock Wall out and dropped Fury with Baldur, forgetting, once again, to Purifying Prayer myself.


Legion turn 1:

My opponent screens the unit of Raptors with Fury on them with his other unit of Raptors. His battlegroup skews hard left, and he blocks off easy hook paths to the Naga with guys. Dang.


Circle turn 2:

Well...I can get Ghetorix onto two guys without charging and he can warp Murderous to make it as efficient as possible.

Loki can hook a third, and Sentry Stones probably kill a fourth? A boosted Crevasse from Megalith should mess up the back lines pretty good too.

I go for it.

I end up killing all of the front line bar 1 (!!!), two of the back line, and seriously messing up two of the remaining ones with the Crevasse spray.

The Pureblood sprays Anyssa to death.

Ghetorix cast Spiny Growth on himself, and Baldur moves up, Feats, and purifies himself.



Legion turn 2:

Wanna know how to two shot Ghetorix? Apply a Wraithbaned, Furied Angelius to him.

So yeah...Seraph casts Slipstream and moves over, bringing the Angelius forward. He tags Ghetorix with a flare shot (hit the 13, what can you do).

The Naga casts Wraithbane on the Angelius. Fyanna moves up, Feats, and puts up Fury on the Angel, who charges in and kills Ghetorix in two swings.

Uh oh.


Circle turn 3:

Under Fyanna's feat, I can't get much done. Megalith casts Undergrowth and kills a couple raptors. Loki misses his aimed hook on the Angelius, and Sentry Stones kill the Strider on the right.

I really can't do anything here, so I just set up for good Comfort Food targets next turn and hope to survive.



Legion turn 3:

Megalith dies horribly to the Neraph/Angelius.

Raptors kill the Bokur, and the Strider kills some stickmen.


Circle turn 4:

I Primal up the Pureblood and walk him behind the Angelius, who dies rather easily. Loki hooks and dings up the Neraph and then puts up Evasive. Baldur finishes off the Neraph and camps 3.

I put up a cloud on the Pureblood, and put a boosted spray into the Forsaken, which refuses to die.


Legion turn 4:

Fyanna Slipstreams the Forsaken, and then comes in and kills everything in the Seraph's way and puts Fury on it.

The Forsaken blows up and puts some hurt on the beasts. The Raptor charges in and finishes off my Pureblood.

The Seraph charges Baldur, but can't kill him.


Circle turn 5:

I *should* just try and kill Fyanna here, but I want to see how well I can attrition from here.

Baldur kills the Seraph after stepping into some Shifting Stones.

The Gorax charges and kills the Raptor.

Loki walks up and kills the objective before putting up Evasive.

I port Baldur out of there and pin Fyanna in with Sentry Stones.

I get two points.


Legion turn 5:

He charges Loki with the Naga, and misses, letting me dodge backwards.

Fyanna hits him a couple times and also misses then, letting me dodge Loki back into Baldur's control area.

No points are scored.



Circle turn 6:

Sentry Stone Mannikins eat the Naga, and Baldur stays back, scoring me a third point, at which point my opponent concedes as all I have to do next turn is walk Baldur into the zone and get two more points.


Victory for the Druids!

Post-Game Thoughts:

Yeah I can't drop this list into ANYTHING that has blessed in it. Circle, Legion, and Menoth are straight up off the table. That's valuable information. Even though I ended up winning here, I didn't feel like I was in control of the game right up until the end, and even then my game plan relied on Baldur tanking a Seraph with Fury on it. 

Not a great place to be. 

Up next, another Baldur 2 game, this time with my newly painted Woldwrath....


4 comments:

  1. His list looks a little strange? My count has it at 71 points without even using the 1 free model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he had Anyssa in there as well, I knew killed 5 Raptors before the Crevasse! I'll get it in there.

      Delete
  2. Huge thanks for these battle reports! They are a blast to read at work and the pics are helpful to see a good players positioning.

    ReplyDelete