Sunday, November 6, 2016

Battle Report 32: 2Una vs. Nemo 1



Prologue:

Continuing the Una 2 train of silliness, I took her with me to the JML event that I was co-running so that my players had something to do if they got a bye round.

Despite much anxiety, the guys were champs and let me get in two games with her, "for science".

Game 1 was against a gentleman playing Nemo 1, a matchup I actually thought wasn't super great for the birds since Nemo's feat is legitimately gross into this army.

Nemo 1
-Dynamo
-Thunderhead
-Ironclad
-Lancer

Jr.
-Firefly
Lanyssa
Arlan

Max Lances

And I was running the exact same list. After yesterday, I think I might have a couple of changes to make, but I want to give it at least one more game in its current incarnation before I go messing with things.

Una 2
-Wilder
-Scarsfell x6
-Stalker
-Gorax

Sentry Stones x2
Shifting Stones x2
Death Wolves

Gobber Chef


The Scenario was incursion, and I won the roll off, opting to go first. If you have the choice, I think going first is always the right play with this list. Terrain matters very little to you from an offensive standpoint, and matters just a bit on the defensive side. Since the plan is to basically scream up the field at them turn 1 every game anyway, you want to go first so they can't alpha you.

I deployed very central, making sure I could get Hand of Fate onto a Griffon and Mirage onto the Death Wolves turn 1.



He deployed with his Lances left and his battlegroup pretty central.

Crucially, he didn't have a whole lot that could get to the right hand flag.



Circle turn 1:

I ported my Shifting Stones agressively up the table, a move which still feels extremely weird.

Griffons ran. One of them got Hand of Fate and the Death Wolves got Mirage. 

Sentry Stones made a little forest wall for Una.


Cygnar turn 1:

My opponent hemmed and hawed for a few minutes before running models up. He clumped up his heavies between the wall and the house, and then moved Nemo up and popped feat.

He did about 55 damage to 4 Griffons. Yeah that was bad. Crippled aspects on 3 of them and about half health left on each.

Lances just parked themselves around Nemo.



Circle turn 2:

Unfortunately, the Griffon with Hand of Fate on it had a crippled Spirit, and that meant I wouldn't be able to hot swap it around this turn.

Una activated, healed some Griffons, primaled one up, and popped feat.

Griffons went in en mass to his heavies. I was able to get 2 on Thunderhead, one more onto Dynamo (with Primal) and one more onto the Ironclad.

Both character heavies melted, and then poor dice left the Ironclad on about half health.

I flew a Griffon into the middle of the Lances, and another ran to engage Nemo.

The Death Wolves camped out on the right flag, and I ported Shifting Stones up to contest the right flag.

Sadly, the Ironclad was within 4 inches by a smidge of the middle flag.

Note the blue Griffon is actually between the house and the Ironclad, he just didn't fit so there's a proxy base. 

Cygnar turn 2:

This was one of the more hilarious turns I've ever seen. Stormlances poked eachother and eLepaed the Griffon engaging them to death.

Many attempts were made to spell the Griffon engaging Nemo to death.

Lanyssa cast Winter Storm to deny me the ability to fly places.

I scored 1 point.


Score 1-0
Advantage Circle


Circle turn 3:

Griffons frenzied into the Lancer and Ironclad respectively.

Una healed the Yellow Griffon which had lost its Spirit to an eLeap again, and then cast Hand of Fate on it. This was a mistake, and it should have gone onto a Sentry Stone unit.

The Yellow Griffon murdered the Ironclad.

The Griffon engaging Nemo used a headbutt to knock him over, then bought an attack.

Sentry Mannikins sprayed him to death.


Victory for the Druids!


Post Game Thoughts:

I hadn't expected Nemo's feat to do quite so much work going into this, and boy did it. Boosted POW 14s against ARM 13 light warbeasts is brutal.

That being said, I don't feel like his particular list has enough of a threat range to really make me worried, and this game really demonstrated how fast the Griffons are.

If I could offer one criticism of my opponents game, I would have suggested putting Dynamo and the Ironclad farther apart so I have to commit 2 Griffons each, and then keep Thunderhead back. This means that I have to run to engage him if I don't want him to pulse for free, and even then he can take a free strike, pulse, and probably kill or come very close to killing the majority of the Griffons I committed.

Thunderhead was my biggest fear heading into this game and I spent a lot of resources making sure he died.


No comments:

Post a Comment