Thursday, November 3, 2016

Battle Report 29: Grayle vs. Issyria

Continuing my train of self abuse, I decided to drop Grayle into the local Ret player, little realizing that he would be playing Issyria with a mountain of angry jacks!

This is a really bad matchup in most cases since I can't kill most of his army fast enough, and his feat really negates my feat. I would have to force him to pop feat first in order to even have a chance.

My list, same as last time:

Grayle
-Brennos
-Feral

Lanyssa
Morraig
War Wolves

Max Reeves
-CA
Max Wolves
-CA
Max Skinwalkers
-CA


His list:

Issyria
-Sylys
-Hyperion
-Banshee

Elara
-Moros

Pain Knight Skareth Issyan
Eiryss 2
Nayl
Mage Hunter Assassin x2
Arcanist x3


We rolled Outlast for a Scenario. I won the roll off and opted to go first, thinking I needed to get Grayle's upkeeps out on a turn when he couldn't accidentally die. additionally, there really wasn't a table edge that I didn't want, so I felt pretty good about going first.

Also, my list is really fast and pretty much melee based, and that's a good reason to go first.


Note how I've deployed my feral - he's the more important beast here and his role is to load Brennos up with Primal one turn, and then get sent in to murder whatever kills Brennos. As such, he gets deployed behind the lines like a defensive beast.


Right away I've noticed something kind of huge here - my opponent has almost given me the right side of the table, and there's a nice big piece of LOS blocking terrain there for me to exploit. He *is* going to jam Nayl down my throat turn 1, but I can't do much about that, and Grayle can usually handle loosing fury.

Circle turn 1:

Pretty standard. Grayle puts Storm Rager on himself and Death March on the Skinwalkers before charging.

Literally everything else runs. I skew my heavy beasts and the Skinwalkers left to tie up his Hyperion if he goes for that zone. The Feral plus Brennos can actually likely take the colossal down in one activation too, so that's something.

Lanyssa is really bad in this particular matchup thanks to Arcane Vortex on Issyria and Witch Hunter on Eiryss, PLUS the Wailing on the Banshee. She's mostly going to contest.



Ret turn 1:

My opponent puts Inviolable Resolve on Hyperion and Admonition on Issyria. Speed of Death goes up from Elara (holy crap that's a good spell) and everything runs. Nayl goes to the left zone as well, leaving a lone Mage Hunter Assassin in the right zone to contest.



Circle turn 2:

I upkeep both spells.

Brennos goes first and casts Ravaging Winds at the Banshee. Eiryss shoots him back with Witch Hunter, but fails to do anything.

Brennos connects and then boosts damage on both the Banshee and Eiryss, sadly not killing the solo, but doing a little damage to the Banshee.

The Feral moves up, and then Grayle charges Nayl. Before making my charge attack, I put down two Gale Winds right in front of Hyperion so that he can't shoot his Starburst (hereforward called the Sparkleburst because that's what I call it) cannon at anything important. Grayle then murders Nayl, loses his fury, side steps, and then Sprints back behind the forest. Cheeky little begger.

Skinwalkers run and mini feat, Wolves run. War Wolves run. Reeves....yeah they run too.

Look at that awesome "no shooting" zone! :D
Ret turn 2:


His Mage Hunter Assassin in the right zone murders the poor War Wolf.

The Pain knight murders the other War Wolf.

The Banshee moves up and kills the Skinwalker engaging Eiryss.

Moros fails to kill a Skinwalker, and so does a Mage Hunter Assassin (woot!), meaning Hyperion goes in and kills them himself.

No points are scored.


Circle turn 3:

Well I was moderately expecting to be down on Scenario here, but I'll take it! Grayle cuts for six (ouch) and upkeeps his spells.

Lanyssa lands the Hunters Mark on the Banshee.

Brennos charges in and misses 3 of 5 attacks. Yay.

The Skinwalkers charge Hyperion (they Vengeanced at the beginning of the turn and killed the MHA) and Sylys respectively. Despite hitting him, my Skinwalker fails to kill Sylyss with a charge attack. Awkward.

The Feral moves back. Morraig moves through my own models to kill the MHA and then Repositions up.

Grayle casts two more Wind Blasts and backs up into the zone.

Wolves move up, whack the Banshee, and reposition, waiting for a better mini feat turn. Two 8 man CRA shots fail to dismount the Pain Knight.

I get two points!


Score 2-0
Advantage Circle

Ret turn 3:

We spend a LONG time trying to figure out how my opponent can contest with the Pain Knight without taking a free strike. 

Eventually, Issyria pops feat, and the Pain Knight charges in, impacting one Wolf and then killing a second, before Repositioning into the zone. 

The Banshee trivially murders Brennos. No big deal. Crippled weapon even. *sigh*

Hyperion moves up after the Skinwalkers are dealt with and shoots the Feral, doing about half it's health. *sigh*. 

Lanyssa dies to...something? Eiryss maybe? My opponent gets a point. 


Score 2-1
Advantage Circle

Circle turn 4:

Alright, he's got ONE model that can contest once the Pain Knight dies, and it's a moderately banged up Banshee.

Grayle charges the Pain Knight and pops his feat, killing the elf and moving a Wolf into the forest. He heals the Feral for a bunch. He then Sprints back to safety. Dang I love doing that.

The Wolves mini feat and charge, killing the Banshee, and then repositioning into the left zone.

Morraig runs and engages half his remaining models.

I get two more points.


Score 4-1
Advantage Circle

Ret turn 4:

My opponent knows he can't catch me here, so he opts to just murder as much stuff as he can. 

He ends his turn after killing 2/3 of my remaining models, and I get 2 more points to his 1. 


Score 6-2
Victory for the Druids!

Post Game Thoughts:

Yeah this is a terrible matchup for Grayle in general. Sure, I won, but my opponent almost gave me the right hand zone, and at the end of the game I had half a unit of Reeves, a Feral, Morraig, and Grayle to his almost completely healthy Hyperion, Moros, and Eiryss. 

Not a great matchup there if the game keeps going. 

I still can't get over how much fun Grayle is, looking forward to playing him a whole bunch more in the next little while!




No comments:

Post a Comment