Sunday, April 23, 2017

Battle Report 87 - Spokane Team Championship Round 2: Baldur 2 (Bones of Orboros) vs. Kaya 3

Prologue:

I had not known specifically what the other team captains were playing ahead of time (we had to submit lists by a certain date), but I had had a pretty good idea, and I had deliberately teched for their play styles.

Unfortunately, this worked too well round 2, and the Captain of Team Friends United in the Chorus of Kaen and Menoth Everywhere chickened I mean whimped I mean strategically chose to match himself into something a little less hostile towards him.

That meant that I was paired into the other Circle player in the Meta playing Krueger 2 and Kaya 3.

Krueger 2 was a slam dunk loss for Tanith, and so Baldur 2 was coming out to play.

My list was:

Baldur 2 (Bones of Orboros)
- Woldwrath
- Woldwrath
- Megalith

Sentry Stone x2
Stoneshaper x3

Bunker


And my opponent dropped Kaya 3:

Kaya 3
- Feral Warpwolf
- Shadowhorn Satyr x2
- Gnarlhorn Satyr
- Scarsfell Griffon x3

Blackclad

Wolf Riders
Swamp Gobbers

Fuel Cache

I got to go first on Extraction. The plan was simple - march my Woldwraths up to the flags and sit there, putting a Rock Wall in front of whichever one is likely to get charged by more things.



Good Circle turn 1:

Baldur got his Wurm token, and everything ran up. He kept his Wurm token and took a damage. Turn 1 for this list is really boring usually. 

There was a bit of a problem with this table though, since the wall on the right was going to make placing that Woldwrath tricky. 

I've been playing too much Infinity, look at the right side Manikins
Baa-aaaad Circle turn 1:

My opponent used the Wolf Riders to jam me up. Goats ran up everywhere. 

A cloud was placed next to the one from the Fuel Cache.

Kaya cast Synergy and Soothing Song to figure out Fury problems and passed the turn.


Good Circle turn 2:

I basically just need to get the Wraths within 4 of the flags this turn and keep them out of the charge range of the Feral. I also need to keep Baldur way, way away from the Shadowhorns. 

Mannikins aim and kill a few Wolf Riders. Forests are placed again, and the Sentry Stones port behind them. 

The left Wrath moves up and blasts a Wolf Rider down, doing about 1/3 of the health on the two Griffons. 

The Right Woldwrath (that one is named Tiny by the way) moved up and finished off the remaining central Wolf Rider (and several Mannikins). 

Baldur activated, healed one from Megalith, Feated, and cast a rock wall next to him just in case I had not considered every threat range from the Shadowhorns. He took two more from his tokens and I passed the turn.



Baaa-aaad Circle turn 2:

Griffons charge in to start the Synergy train. 

The Wolf Rider moves up and shoots at a Stoneshaper, doing 1, and then backing up. 

The central Shadowhorn moves around the house, leaps in, and only kills one Sentry Stone thanks to my feat, and then repositions out of the way.

The Blackclad charges (!!!) Tiny and ACTUALLY HURTS HIM (!!!!!).

My opponent passes.


Good Circle turn 3:

I pour a lot of resources into killing the closest Griffon so that the Woldwrath (That one is called Smalls) can move up, take the flag, and kill the other one. 

Megalith kills the impertinent Shadowhorn, staying 10 inches from the Gnarlhorn. Tiny fails to kill the Blackclad. 

Baldur casts Druid's Wrath and also puts Rock Wall down between the Gnarlhorn and Smalls. 

I score 1 point.


Score 1-0
Advantage Good Circle

Baa-aad Circle turn 3:

Well...with the Blackclad not dying, I think I am about to lose Megalith. 

Kaya moves over and Feats. 

The Griffon starts the Synergy, the Feral moves over and puts Primal on the Gnarlhorn, and the Blackclad Hunters' Marks Megalith. 

The Gnarlhorn goes in, and cannot quite seal the deal, leaving Megalith on 8 boxes. 


Score 1-0
Advantage Good Circle

Good Circle turn 4:

I make a Mannikin and beasts Heal from the theme. 

The Mannikin sprays Smalls in the back, boosting to hit the contesting Gobber and succeeding. 

Smalls turns and punches the Mannikin, knocking the Griffon over and then killing it.

Tiny manages to kill the Blackclad after putting ALL of his attacks into it. 

Megalith barely kills the Gnarlhorn.

Baldur kills the Wolf Rider and I get two more points. 


Score 3-0
Advantage Good Circle

Baa-aad Circle turn 4:

My opponent wants to get a control point for his team, so Kaya charges Smalls. The Feral puts Primal on the Shadowhorn, which goes in and kills the objective. My opponent concedes, and I score two more points. 


Victory for the Druids!

Post-Game Thoughts:

This went basically as expected. Without multiple heavies starting out at PS 18 or higher and a Pureblood, Kaya 3 has very little game into an ARM skew this extreme. 

This team was the leading team after round 1. My team managed to split 2-2 with them, but they got 5 more control points than us, leading us by 7 control points overall. Round 3 we would have to win at least one more game than them or score at least 8 more control points than they did. A tall order. 

This game, I lost 7 30 mm, 1 40 mm, and 1 50 mm model as well as a win, for a total of 130 reps of push ups and sit ups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment