Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Battle Report 46: 2Una vs. Durant 2

In our search for reliable Una 2 tech in Menoth, my team and I (well mostly me to be honest) hit on the idea of Durant 2 with 3 Reckoners and double Idrians.

The idea is simple - tag a couple griffons a turn with Flare thanks to Durants' Field Marshal [True Sight] and blow them up with Idrians preying them.

Both I and my Menoth buddy K are sick today, and so we took the opportunity to try it out on Vassal.


My list:

Una 2
- Wilder
- Scarsfell x7
- Gorax
- Pureblood

Blackclad Wayfarer

Sentry Stone x2
Shifting Stone x2

Into:

Durant 2
- Reckoner x3

Punch Monk x2
Wrack x2

Idrians and CA x2


We rolled up Incursion and I lost the roll. My opponent took first turn, and I chose the side with the hill for my Griffons to hover over.





He deployed pretty central, jack fort going up the middle and Idrians on either side. He ended up preying both units of Sentry Stones.


My deployment is more or less setting me up for a Scenario game here. I'm going to run Griffons over to the other side of the right hand forest to save them from guns and I'm going to pile stuff on that hill in order to make the Reckoners slightly less likely to shoot the birds with flare guns.

Menoth turn 1:

He runs up. Respecting the Sentry Stones' threat ranges, he parks his Idrians in semi circles just outside of the walk and spray death zone. Reckoners move up and get...Battle, cuz I literally have nothing to shoot them with that isn't magical and Hunters Mark isn't in play yet.

Durant moves up and casts Inviolable Resolve on the central Reckoner.



Circle turn 1:

I really can't afford to sacrifice my Sentry Stones so early, so they all back up outside of the 17 inch threat of the Reckoners' walk and shoot.

I run Griffons up, keeping them more than 12 inches from the Reckoners and on the hill so that K can't aim and shoot.

Hand of Fate goes on one Sentry unit, and Mirage goes on a Griffon because I messed up my deployment. I normally want it on the Pureblood.

Griffons run to behind the forest on the right and farther than 11 inches from the Idrians on the left (6 inch walk plus 5 inch shoot under stealth).

Such Pre-measuring. Very wow. 
Menoth turn 2:

The theory becomes practice as the first Reckoner moves up and Flares a Griffon, doing 18 damage in the process.

The other two Reckoners miss their boosted 12s, so only 1 Griffon and a bunch of Mannikins die.


Circle turn 2:

Spells are upkept, and Mannikins are placed. A bird is Apparitioned up from the right.

I can get a charge on each jack, and two on the right hand pair.

My opponent has also contested rather lightly on all flags, if you consider Shifting Sands Stanced Punch Monks light.

The Sentry Unit with Hand of Fate slaughters a few Idrians.

Una goes, Feats, casts Primal on a Griffon and Hand of Fate on another. She takes an aimed shot at the right hand Punch Monk, doing lethal but K rolls tough.

Gorax activates and Primals up a second one.

I run a pair of Griffons to engage all three heavies.

Griffons go in, murdering the left Reckoner and leaving the right on 3 boxes.

The Blackclad moves up and sprays down the line of the Punch Monk and a few more Idrians. He connects with the Punch Monk (!!!!!) and my opponent fails his tough check. He also kills the other Idrian that is contesting.

The last Sentry Unit kills the final Idrian contesting the middle, and I cap the mid flag with a Griffon.

Shifting Stones on the left contest the flag.

I make a wall of bodies in front of Una and score two points.


Score 2-0
Advantage Circle

Menoth turn 3:

K drops Inviolable Resolve and thinks pretty hard. 

Durant feats after healing the right Reckoner for a couple. 

The mid Reckoner moves back, taking minimal damage from free strikes, and Flares the second from the left Griffon. 

The Punch Monk charges and one-shots the left Sentry Stone. 

The left Idrians kill both left Griffons pretty happily. 

The right Idrians move up and shoot at the Blackclad, missing, and the Sentry Stone, for superficial damage and contesting. 


Score 2-0
Advantage Circle

Circle turn 3:

The one Griffon frenzies from Primal, and it's off to the races with both spells upkept. 

Blackclad Sprays plus Sentry Stone sprays clear off most of the right hand flags. 

The right side Griffon charges the nearly dead Reckoner and kills it. 

Two Griffons go into the still healthy Reckoner and I hit a grand total of twice or three times for nearly no damage at all. 

Una aims and shoots the last remaining Idrians contesting down, and I cap both flags with the Wilder and Gorax.

Pureblood moves up and puts a dent in the Idrian population on the left. 

I go to four points and my opponent concedes. 


Score 4-0
Victory for the Druids!


Post-Game Thoughts:

The more I play Una, the more I realize that she has the complete package - Scenario, Attrition, and Assassination all rolled up into one. The only tricky parts in playing her are basically this - which win condition is the right one? How do I keep her alive? 

If you can answer both of those questions, I feel like she is golden outside of certain extreme gunline skews (Sloan, Issyria, maybe Caine 2) or armies that can do a lot of damage indirectly through eLeaps or magic attacks and sprays. 

This particular matchup comes down to terrain. If you can boost the Griffons DEF even higher against the Reckoner shots, the math gets really bad, and quickly. 

Thanks for reading!


7 comments:

  1. Hello! I really like your blog and I would like to ask for advice from you. I'm going to tournament 50pts and would like to ask you to comment on my list Una2
    Una2 (Una The Skyhunter) -29
    - Scarsfell Griffon 8
    - Scarsfell Griffon 8
    - Scarsfell Griffon 8
    - Scarsfell Griffon 8
    - Gorax Rager 7
    - Gnarlhorn Satyr 12
    - Scarsfell Griffon 8
    Blackclad Wayfarer 4
    Sentry Stone & Mannikins 5
    Sentry Stone & Mannikins 5
    Ogrun Bokur 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious as to your reasoning for the gnarlhorn Satyr-what does he do for you in the list?

      I'd consider dropping the Satyr and upgrading the gorax into a feral, giving you a free point for a gobber chef for fury management.

      Other than that, looks pretty darn good! What are you pairing it with.

      Delete
    2. I am very worried about the survival of Una, so satires was to take Erth blessing for Una. I like him very much as a bodyguard to Kromak2. Do you recommend two gobbers chef?

      Delete
    3. I don't think you need to worry about Una dying in most games, with extended control she can sit 20 inches away from what her Griffons are killing and be very safe.

      The feral is a killing machine and an awesome late game piece.

      Two chefs isn't required, I usually just toss one in to fill the last point.

      Delete
    4. System: Hordes
      Faction: Circle Orboros
      Caster: 1 / 1
      Points: 49 / 50
      Una2 (Una The Skyhunter) -29
      - Feral Warpwolf 18
      - Scarsfell Griffon 8
      - Scarsfell Griffon 8
      - Scarsfell Griffon 8
      - Scarsfell Griffon 8
      - Scarsfell Griffon 8
      Sentry Stone & Mannikins 5
      Sentry Stone & Mannikins 5
      Blackclad Wayfarer 4
      Swamp Gobber Chef 1
      Ogrun Bokur 5
      It remains 1 point.

      Delete
    5. Oh I did my math wrong, I'd probably drop the chef and put in a bellows crew for the last two points

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete